By: Dwayne Godwin and Jorge Cham
Your amazing brain consists over 100 billion neurons (100 milyar+), the same number as there are stars in the milky way galaxy. Each neuron connects to about 10,000 other neurons. That’s a quadrillion connections or 1,000,000,000,000,000, the same number of cells you have in your entire body.
Did You Know?
- Neurons multiply at a rate 250,000 neurons per minute during early pregnancy.
- when you were born, your brain weighed about 350-400g and you had almost all the brain cells you will ever have. In fact, your brain was closer to its full adult size than any other organ in your body!
- That your brain stopped growing at age 18.
- The human brain is approximately 75% water.
- Your brain consists of 60% white matter and 40% grey matter.
- Your brain uses approximately 20% of the total oxygen pumping around your body! and about 750ml of blood pumps through your brain every minute!
- The brain represents about 2% of your total body weight. It is roughly 140mm wide, 167mm long and 93mm high.
- The weight of an average human brain is about 1300-1400 gram – @ 3lbs i.e., almost one bag of sugar.
- Information travels at different speeds within different types of neurons. Transmission can be as slow as 0.5 meters/sec or as fast as 120 meters/sec. Traveling at 120 meters/sec is the same as going 268 miles/hour.
- The number of internal thought pathways that your brain is capable of producing is: one followed by 10.5 million kilometers of standard typewritten zero’s!
- Your brain is capable of having more ideas than the number of atoms in the known universe! (source: Tony Buzan, Head Strong 2001)