Student Information Sheet: Cigarette Smoking: The Issues and Competing Viewpoints.
Sub-Issues within the Debate About Cigarette Smoking
The sub-issues following this format:
- Value Claim response to the sub-issue.
- Counter Value Claim response to the sub-issue.
Risks in the use of tobacco:
- Individuals are responsible for making choices about their own health.
- Governments have the responsibility to demonstrate and maintain good health practices.
Second Hand Smoking
- People have the right to smoke when and where they please.
- All public spaces must be available for everyone to use.
- People have to be held responsible for their own actions.
- It is wrong to allow people to become addicted to something when it can be prevented.
- People must be responsible for the products they choose.
- Producers have a responsibility to produce and sell only safe products.
- It is the responsibility of the individual to be sceptical and critical of advertizing’s message.
- Advertizing must not deliberately mislead people about a product.
- It is wrong to destroy another person’s job or business.
- Work and business should always be socially constructive.
- It is unfair to impose on the taxpayer the additional health costs of smoking.
- Smokers are humans and citizens and have as much right to prepaid health care as any other group.
- In a free and democratic society, individuals have the right to make choices and must accept the consequences of those choices free from the interference of the state.
- The state has the duty to protect its citizens from dangerous substances.